2 x 30m² prefabricated classrooms
17 March 2023
No of children
• Kwandamagugu Crèche, which was established in the KwaZulu-Natal city of Pietermaritzburg in 2010, was put forward by Breadline Africa’s implementation partner, GROW Educare, to receive a classroom with toilet facilities and a jungle gym, generously funded by MySchool MyVillage MyPlanet.
• The pre-school is a home-from-home for 65 children, aged between three months and five years of age.
• The community turned out in numbers to help celebrate the opening of the new facilities and the local traditional leader, Chief Nduna Ndlovu was on hand for the official ribbon-cutting.
• Nokwanda Putini, principal of Kwandamagugu Crèche, explained in her speech: “Early childhood development is an essential part of human life, and it is where a child’s future starts, which is why I decided to enter this domain after completing high school. There are not enough ECDs in our community – so we vowed to open one and develop our kids into something better. GROW has helped us a lot, with teacher trainings and an introduction to Breadline Africa.”
• Caroline Tinsley, Breadline Africa Partnerships Manager, said: “The best part of our jobs is when we have the opportunity to come into the community and meet amazing principals, like Nokwanda and the teachers who are receiving our infrastructure. We know that when our partner, GROW Educare refers an ECD, the women who are running it will be operating outstanding centres and are so deserving of a new safe space. We cannot forget the incredible donation from MySchool MyVillage MyPlanet as we would not be here today without them and all the Woolworths customers who swiped their cards to make this happen.”